Do I need an adapter/converter while traveling?

This is a common question with travelers today as we have so many gadgets and devices. What actually are adapters/converters anyway? Here is a breakdown to hopefully ease your mind when it comes to plugging in your appliances!



The difference between an adapter and a converter:

An adapter does not change the electricity supplied to the appliance, it only allows it to be plugged into a different type of wall socket.

If the appliance that you are using supports dual voltage and dual frequency, you will not need a converter, only an adapter. To see if your appliance supports dual frequency, check for a plate/tag that will be located on the item stating “120/240v, 50/60Hz”.

A power converter steps down the voltage of the appliance from 240v to 120v, allowing equipment which is not dual voltage to operate at the voltage for which it was designed (basically-this prevents you from sending your appliance into smoke). Converters do not alter the frequency at which electricity is delivered and should be used a maximum of 1-2 hours at a time.

Keep in mind:
  • Items that normally require converters are mainly larger appliances such as computers, hair dryers, hair tools, sleep machines, etc.
  • In order to use a converter you will need to also use an adapter, so we always recommend bringing both with you while traveling.

    Ireland and the UK:

    In Ireland and the UK the electrical supply is 230v (Single-phase voltage, volts) and 50Hz (frequency, hertz). You will need a three prong adapter/converter which is named adapter type G. Please see the image below:



    In Italy the electrical supply is typically 230v (Single-phase voltage, volts) and 50Hz (frequency, hertz). There are two types of plugs used, similar to the US, with our smaller appliances having two prongs and larger appliances using three prongs. There are two and three prong adapters/converters used in Italy, type C and type L. Please see the images below:
    typC italy2



    In Iceland the electrical supply is 230v (Single-phase voltage, volts) and 50Hz (frequency, hertz). You will need a two prong adapter/converter, type C (same as Italy). Please see the image below:


    We hope that this clears up any confusion about what to bring on your vacation in regards to adapters and/or converters. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this topic, please reach out to your travel specialist to ensure that you are fully prepared before your trip!


    Ready to Start Planning Your Trip?

    Our Travel Specialists are ready to craft the perfect trip for your upcoming vacation!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

301 North Ave, Floor 2 Wakefield, MA 01880
1632 Savannah Rd, SuiteĀ 10 Lewes, DE 19958
Tenon Tours, LLC BBB Business Review has a Shopper Approved rating of 4.8/5 based on 221 ratings and reviews